Image Map

06 August 2010

i've never..episode one: the broiled duck embryo


so my friends 'attempted' a belated surprise birthday for me until i ran into them on my way inside ayala and found them mulling over which cake to buy in vanille patisserie. i actually felt bad at first because i was supposed to meet karen there at 8:00 PM and she told me she would just text me when she's on her way, only to find her with our other friends without texting me. it took me a minute to realize after seeing their shocked faces that it was a surprise for me. so i gave them time and told them i had an errand to run and will be back right after. but yes, even when i busted them planning my surprise, it was still pretty sweet. they had the waiter bring my birthday cake (the small balls on top are super yummy truffles) and my balloons. and guess what? they gave me a jane austen book too! yey!

anyway, so on to the much awaited balot challenge -- one of the many challenges my friends and i are going to make over the next few weeks. we drove midtown and found a balot vendor by the city's rotunda and each bought a 16-day old balot --- one with a slightly formed duckling inside. with the help of the dark street, some vinegar and salt, suffice to say, it wasn't much of an excruciating experience for me as it was for karen. she really had a hard time swallowing the duck embryo. here are some photos:


grey dress - props
leopard-print flats - parisian, sm dept store
bangles - gifted
rings: starfish and round white - props
necklaces: fairy - props | handbag - parkmall

ps. Join Fashionista Fortune Cookie's First Ever Giveaway! She's giving away 3 jackets!


Follow vanilla ice cream

20 comments:

Isabeau Jane said...

lol you're not supposed to eat balut on a well lit area ^^ ehhehe but congratulation girl! hehehe

Alex said...

Bleurgh, the very thought of it revolts me but you are SO brave to have done it! What's next on the list?

Lloyda said...

balut! yummy! i love balut i just don't eat the chick! hahaha. kinds defeats the purpose eh?

thanks for the link! i hope more ppl will join soon.

about your question: i'm due at the end of this month. and it's a boy!

Analisa said...

Haha I wish I was that brave! I love balut but never have the guts to eat the chick! :(

Unknown said...

I've never tried that, but it looks interesting

Vera said...

urrgh I've never tried that either! maybe someday :) what did you think of it?

HiFashion said...

Awww, it's so sweet of your friends to through you the surprise party! Looks like it was a lot of fun.

Kelly said...

Omgah!! I've heard it tastes really good.. But I don't think I can do it.. since it looks like an embryo.

<3 Kelly

Aileen Kim said...

looks like a lot of fun! I, too admire your courage, I have only tried eating balut (except for the chick itself) once in my life. belated happy birthday by the way.

vdcouture said...

looks fun <3 is that food delicious ?? it looks kinda scary :(

love,vdcouture

Anonymous said...

Wow, balut! My dad grew up in the Philippines and he remembers eating this and enjoying it.

Sweet said...

Wow I cannot believe you were able to eat balut!!!! Congratulations on your first task love...this is like an amazing race thing, where you need to do something you haven't done before. I really don't think I can do this kind of stuff, but maybe someday!

Aww it is just so sweet to have great friends like them, they support you all the way.

Belated again gorgeous!

have a wonderful weekend Gizelle, thanks for the heads up with the giveaway. Take care love

Always
Sweet
PensandLens

Gossip Girl ♡ said...

love your blog hon...:)
I'm following...
please take a look in my blog too...and if you like it follow...:)
http://gossipmariannagirl.blogspot.com/
and I also want to ask something...how you chance your comments?
you know from comments to scoops?
thanks....xo xo...<3

Jade Purple Brown said...

looks like you guys had a great time!

jadepurplebrown.blogspot.com

Leah said...

I love balot... gosh, now I'm craving for some. Hahaha! It's really yummy.

Alely said...

happy birthday! looks like you had a lot of fun and i've only had balot once in my lifetime and that was over 30 years ago as a little girl visiting the Philippines. however, i vividly remember not enjoying it at all. : )

dred said...

i've never eaten balut in my entire life! weeeee good for you!you and the girls look so chic eating balut. hehe

http://dredreveries.blogspot.com

aurora. said...

happy birthday!
it looks like you had a great time
and that cake looks yummy :)

thanks for the lovely comment on my blog :)
http://vintageaurora.blogspot.com/
xoxo

kristiyana shinta said...

balut? what's that?
anyhoo, happy belated birthday :)

Jing Ocay said...

makes me wanna eat balot karon dayon,G! im craving na.gabasabasa ko sa imu previous posts ba kay dugay pud ko wa kaonline.Then,i bumped into this.mupalit jud kog balot after ani.haha
belated happy birthday,gwapa!
http://plojing.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

thanks for dropping by!
scoops of your thoughts really make me smile...